Friday, November 6, 2009

Let's gooooooo Maryland!

Hey Transfer Terps and Commuters!!

This time difference in California has me waking up 3 hours earlier than normal. So while I have some time, I figured I'd make a new post. Hope you're enjoying your mid-30's temperature. It's averaging 75ish during the day here. :)


Basketball (and Soccer, Swimming, Field Hockey, Cross Country, Tennis, Wrestling, and Women's Volleyball) season is upon us, and while we always support our Terp Football, I think we are all happy that Fall Football is wrapping up. But Maryland Athletics is much more than just Football and Basketball. As you can see from the list, there are many other options to get involved in Maryland Athletics. All of these events are free for you to attend as students.

For bigger games, like Basketball and Football, Maryland utilizes an online ticketing system. Go to www.tickets.umd.edu to register for the lottery. About a week before each big game, you will receive an email asking you if you want to register for a ticket in the lottery for the game. Once you say yes, your name is added to a pot and then a few days later your name may be drawn to receive a ticket for that game. You will log back into the system and print out your ticket. When you get to the venue, scan your ticket and find your seat.


The important thing to remember with the lottery is that it runs on loyalty points. For every game you attend (and scan your ticket), you receive a certain amount of points. The more points you have, the more "loyalty" you have. That means that you have more chances of being drawn for the next game. This is important if you want to go to the UNC or Duke level games. If you obtain a ticket, but don't scan your ticket, you will lose loyalty points. If you print tickets and don't attend a certain amount of games, you will be blocked from receiving tickets for the rest of the season. Basketball and Football run on two different loyalty systems, so they don't affect each other. Your loyalty points restart each semester. So even if you come in as a Junior transfer student, you still have the same opportunity to obtain tickets as a senior non-transfer student.

For all other events, soccer, field hockey, etc, all you have to do is go to the venue at the time of the game and flash your student ID card. Walk in and cheer on the Terps!

Fear the Turtle!!

What is your favorite cheer, chant or tradition at the University of Maryland?

5 comments:

  1. LET'S GO TERPS! I've been a Maryland fan all my life so I'm really pumped to go to all the games! FO FREE!
    How early should I come to get the front row?
    Let's beat NC State this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The athletics at Maryland, make me so proud to be a Terrapin. I've always known that I would go to a college with big sports and a lot of spirit, and I got exactly what I wanted. I have to say my favorite cheer is the Maryland Victory song. I love singing it and spelling out Maryland. Not only do I love the football and basketball games, I love going to the soccer and volleyball games as well, and I plan on going to the lacrosse games too.

    I feel like going to sporting events is a great way to release some stress, grab a group of a friend and go to the soccer, and cheer and yell for Maryland is a great distractor from stresses. And it is also awesome, because we get to huge games like men's basketball versus Duke, for free, based on the loyalty point system.

    LET'S GO TERPS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Terps! My name is Sarah Woolsey and I'm a freshman double major in Spanish and Environmental Science, and I'm going to be an Orientation Advisor this summer.

    Sophie is right about how awesome going to games is at Maryland! Definitely try to learn the Maryland Victory song, but even if you don't know it, you can still spell out Maryland along with everyone else at the game! If you want to see the lyrics to the Victory song or the Alma Mater, you can check out this website: http://www.umd.edu/traditions/songs/

    Even if sports aren't really your thing, I'd encourage you to at least go to a couple games and give them a shot... the atmosphere at the games (be it football or basketball or soccer, etc.) is energizing, and it's fun to be a part of something so exciting. Being at the games with everyone cheering along is one of those times that you can really feel the great school spirit we have here at Maryland.

    M-A-R-Y-L-A-N-D, Maryland will win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Guys, I'm Amanda and I'm a Freshman Government and Politics Major and I will ALSO be an Orientation Advisor this summer with Sophie, Sarah and some other AWESOME people!

    I have to say, I LOVE football, but had NEVER been to a big game until football season started at Maryland. The atmosphere from the fans is unlike any other, and getting the tickets is so easy! you just go to tickets.umd.edu and sign in using the last 9 digits on the back of your student ID. You request a ticket and in a few days, you're most likely going to get one! My favorite thing about the tickets was the ability to get guest tickets. My parents always wanted to come, and for $25 dollars each, you could get up to four guest tickets, which is a lot cheaper than regular seating! My first game I didn't know any of the fight songs or chants, but after a few times of listening to them, I caught on and could participate. That's awesome you found a link to them, Sarah, that should help out a lot!

    Basketball games were also really awesome to go to. I got a ticket to every game that i requested EXCEPT for Duke which is understandable because it's the biggest game of the year!

    I can't wait for the upcoming football season, and I better see everyone there chanting and screaming for our Terps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys! My name is Hope Wahlbrink and I’m a freshman Business major here at the University of Maryland. I’m also an orientation adviser for this upcoming summer! Attending the Varsity athletics here at Maryland is as must. It’s a great opportunity to show your terrapin pride and have fun with friends, but if you want to get in on the sports action, you should look in to joining an intramural sports team!

    The Intramural Sports Program here at Maryland offers a unique opportunity to all members of the university community. It allows people of all athletic abilities to participate in sports leagues and tournaments. You do not have to be an athlete to play; these recreational activities are for everyone! There are a variety of sports to choose from including soccer, volleyball, frisbee, badminton and tennis.

    I’m on an intramural soccer team with some of my friends and it’s an awesome time. I hadn’t played soccer for over five years so I was nervous at first that I would mess up or make my team look bad. I was so glad to find that most of my teammates were in the same boat and the team we were playing against wasn’t made up of professionals either!

    The Intramural Sports office is located in the Reckord Armory and is open during both fall and spring semesters. Intramurals aren’t about winning or losing, they are about enjoying the game and getting some exercise while you’re at it!

    For more information check out http://www.crs.umd.edu/cms/Intramurals.aspx, or email imsports@umd.edu.

    ReplyDelete