Friday, May 13, 2011

Acapella Groups- We don't need instruments to sound good

Hi! I'm David Todd, a rising-Senior Computer Science and Theatre Double major here and I will also be an Orientation Advisor for the Summer of 2011! One aspect of college that I was excited about was getting involved in musical groups on campus. I'm not a Music major, so I wasn't going to be singing in the program we have here at Maryland, but I still wanted to keep up with it. So, I decided to audition for the a cappella groups on campus.

The auditions for the majority of these groups happen at the same time and place: during the first two weeks of school in the CSPAC Music Wing. I was able to try out for several different a cappella groups and decide which ones were right for me. It was an awesome way to meet people that loved singing as much as I did, and we worked towards common goals like competing and putting on shows.

There are plenty of other musical groups on campus that any student can audition for, such as Choirs, Jazz Combos, the Marching Band, and much more. If you're not a music major but still want to include music in your college experience, UMD has so many opportunities!

1 comment:

  1. Hello my name is Wendell Alston Jr., a rising sophmore. Music has always been one of my passions but it was not my main focus so i decided not to major or minor in it. Also the choirs weren't the right fit for me. After reading this post I am definitely even mmore interested in Acapella. Acapella groups are a great way to express ones love for music and be creative doing it. Unlike the Known Maryland Choirs (Mens Chorale, Classical Choir, Gospel choir, etc...) acapella groups are student groups run and led by students.
    Specifically at Maryland there are about 4 main Acapella groups that i know but there are a few more including a very popular jewish acapella group, mockapella- a group that takes popular songs and makes them funny, and decadence an example of a brand new Acapella group that was just recently formed here on campus. Some others include;
    1)Faux Pax
    2)UMD Treblemakers (all female)
    3)Pandemonium
    4)Generics

    So no matter what type of music you would like to sing. If you want to be a creative driving force in a musical group then join acapella at Maryland.

    ReplyDelete