Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where is there a great place to hang?

Hey there,

My name is Kelsey Welsch, I am a rising junior Agriculture and Science Technology Major.  I will be an orientation advior for the Summer of 2011.

The University of Maryland is a huge campus that can be overwhelming when you first arrive.  Making sure to find quick short cut routes to class and other places is essential.  But, do not fall into a routine that you never get out of.  When the weather is nice, or you happen to get out 30 minutes early from lab take the time to walk around campus on a different path.  Possibly walk through a building just to see if you can make it through to the other side.  Get lost.

It is one of my goals to explore each building that is here at the University of Maryland.  This can be through classes, visiting a friend in their residence hall, or I just need to find somewhere to use the restroom.  So far I think I am doing pretty well.

One of my favorite places to go is the backyard of CSPAC.  It is a secret that I learned from a friend of mine and that I hope you will pass on to others.  The backyard is full of a great big lawn with a few hills.  Sometimes I forget that I am in college park.  It is great for eating or studying outside because of the tables but also great for playing frisbee.

I am sure you will find your favorite place to meet with your friends or to enjoy the outdoors.  Maybe you will even find the perfect seat in Stamp Student Union to drink coffee.  Make sure to take advantage of the beautiful campus and the many secrets it holds.  Try to find some excuse to enter a new building with any amount of free time you may acquire. 

Make sure you tell me about all the great places you find.

Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone,
    My name is Eberechi Ihezie, I am a rising sophomore Marketing Major in the Smith School of Business and also an orientation advisor. I could not agree more with Kelsey on this one. At Maryland, I completely understood why in life it is important to take the scenic route.
    I wanted to share of spot that I learned of recently. I was walking to Knight Hall, home to the Journalism Department, to work on a flier and a student showed me a shortcut. If you walk to Knight Hall by taking the route to the right side of the front of Tawes (home to the Writing Center and the English Department) and behind the Benjamin Banneker Building you will be treated to a plush lawn of green and a rather pleasant view of the back Knight Hall. It is so comfortable being in this area and it really is a nice location that I have not seen very busy.

    ReplyDelete