Wednesday, March 9, 2011

1 + 1= 2 Math Success Program

Hey, my name is Hope Wahlbrink. I’m a freshman Business major here at the University of Maryland and I’m also an Orientation Advisor! The writing center is an awesome resource when you need help with papers but when you are struggling with any type of math class or assignment, the Math Success Program is a lifesaver!

Math Success is a free, walk-in tutoring program for undergraduates. Both residential and commuter students are welcome, and even better, there are no fees, registration or appointments required.
The purpose of the Math Success Program is to help students solve math problems and better understand how to work through trouble areas. Math Coaches in the program also strive to increase confidence among students in hopes of decreasing math anxiety and increasing future success.

While Math Coaches are able to work with any math student, those who tend to seek help the most frequently are students in Calculus courses such as MATH 140, 141, 220 and 221, as well as statistics courses.

The Math Success Program is held in the Easton Recreation room located in Easton Hall, a freshman residence hall on North campus. It is open for walk-ins from 6 to 9pm on through Thursday.

From personal experience, all the Math Coaches are very nice. They are ready and willing to help. They answer all questions and spend time helping you not only get the answer but also helping you understand how to get there.

This program helped me so much and I definitely would recommend it to any student at the University of Maryland. It’s a great resource to help adjust to the change in workload and difficulty that comes along with college.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Everyone!

    My name is Emma Varner and I'm a freshman Biochemistry major in the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences. I'm thrilled to be an Orientation Advisor this summer! I have also benefitted from Math Success. The coaches are great at helping students with online homework that may be trickier than their regular book homework. Math Success also helps students form study groups. For example, I found a great group of students and we ended up studying for our final together! Another great math resource is the Undergraduate Tutoring walk in hours in the basement of the Mathematics Building. There is a schedule of tutors that are happy to help you anytime you have a question!

    Good luck with your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Kara McGrath, and I am a sophomore government and politics major. My freshman year, I had to take statistics for my major. I am not a math person and I found stat to be pretty tough. I tried talking to my TA (usually a great resource) but she did not speak english very well and could not explain things to me in a way that I could understand. If I had known about Math Success, I feel like I would have had a very different experience with stat. Don't let math bog you down! Go out and get the help that you need! I know as a new student it can be hard to step out of your comfort zone and do things you aren't used to, but this program really works and your gpa will thank you. I wish I had!

    ReplyDelete