Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mental Health is just as important as Physical Health

Hey everyone, my name is Kara McGrath and I am an Orientation Advisor for the upcoming summer, (Summer 2011), but I am also a counselor at the University's HELP Center. Being in college is a big adjustment, and I'm sure that you have all heard about the "Freshman 15" and eating healthy. Physical health is a big part of being in college. But your mental health is just as important! 

44 percent of American college students reported feeling symptoms of depression. 
But 80-90 percent of people that seek the necessary form of mental health treatment can function the way they used to! 

The University has many great options to keep up mental health and get help whenever you need it!

The HELP Center
301-314-HELP
A Peer Counseling and Intervention Hotline that offers anonymous listeners for calls, walk in appointments, and free pregnancy testing!

The University Counseling Center
301-314-7651
Provides help and support around personal, interpersonal, and vocational issues. Staffed by counseling and clinical psychologists, the Counseling Service offers a variety of services to help students, faculty, staff, and the community deal with issues concerning them. 
Located on the first floor of the Shoemaker Building

The Center for Health and Wellbeing
0121 Eppley Recreation Center

The Mental Health Center in the University Health Center
The Mental Health Service is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. We are located on the second floor of the University Health Center.
(301) 314-8106 for appointments

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Maddie Prebil. I am a sophomore Government and Politics major completing a minor in Terrorism Studies. I am also an Orientation Advisor for this upcoming summer!
    Like many other students at the university, my transition to college was a huge, and not always easy task. I came to the University of Maryland from across the nation, and often found it difficult to adjust to the different cultural norms. On top of that, I found it very difficult to be so far away from all of my family and friends. I did not utilize any of the any campus resources to aid student’s mental health, but I wish I had. Furthermore, I wish I had been more informed of the different options I had for help in that difficult period.
    Whether you are struggling due to the distance from your family, the intense and stressful college workload, or something else, college can definitely be a trying, turbulent, and demanding period of a person’s life. It is important for students to know that they don’t have to handle these burdens on their own. Help exists!
    It is great that the University of Maryland has so many resources to help students struggling with these, or other challenges. The HELP Center is a particularly useful resource because fellow Terps, who may understand exactly how you are feeling, do all of the counseling. The University Counseling Center, the Center for Health and Well-being, and the Mental Health Center in the University Health Center are all also invaluable assets to our campus that assist students with mental health issues.
    No matter the reason or issue, there are free or affordable options on campus to help. There is no reason to struggle alone. Check out the university’s multiple options for maintaining mental health and remember, it is truly important to take care of your mental health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Nick Murosko. I am a sophomore biochemistry major and orientation adviser. I just wanted to expand on what Kara has said about the Help Center.

    Not only is the Help Center a great resource for students who want someone to talk to, it is also an excellent place to work. From everything I have heard, the students who work there develop friendships with one another and gain experience in fundamental social skills.

    I do not work there; however, many of my close friends do and they all agree that it is a very rewarding experience. Just something to consider. To those who are considering holding down a job on campus, there are advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

    Pros: Make money, meet new people, learn to budget your time more effectively, add it to your resume
    Cons: Takes away from school time, may have to work weekends, most campus jobs pay very little

    If an on-campus job is right for you. Check out the UMD "Careers4Terps" job search engine:http://www.careercenter.umd.edu/page.cfm?page_id=155

    ReplyDelete