Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Greek Life

Hello! My name is Nick Murosko and I have recently been hired as an Orientation Advisor for the upcoming summer. Becoming involved on campus often seems like a daunting challenge to students. Transfer and off-campus students may find it especially tough to get involved with student organizations. If this is the case for you, or if you are already involved and are exploring ways to do even more on campus, I would highly recommend Greek life.
Having been involved with Greek life for three semesters now, I can say with conviction that it has been the best experience I’ve had here at UMD. Our campus is fortunate to have one of the largest and most diverse Greek systems in the nation. We have everything from traditional fraternities and sororities to pre-professional and multicultural fraternities and sororities. Each organization has its own unique benefits; however, all are similar in that they are great ways to meet new people.
For more information about Greek life you can check out the university’s Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life or the various colleges for pre-professional fraternities.

Department of Fraternity & Sorority Life
1110 Stamp Student Union
College Park, MD 20742
Phone: (301) 314-7172Fax: (301) 314-9393

1 comment:

  1. My name is Cristin Carey and I am a sophomore Kinesiology major here at UMD. Also, I am currently training to be an Orientation Advisor for this summer 2011. I cannot agree with Nick more that Greek Life is one of the best ways to get involved on campus here at UMD. Like he said, there are many different types of Greek organizations, depending on what you’re interested in. If you are a pre-health major, the DEM fraternity may be right for you. If you’re an engineering major, there are engineering fraternities also, and more! I am personally involved in a social sorority and I must admit it was one of the best decisions I have made during my college career. Through Greek life, I have not only met some of my best friends, but I have met friends I can study with, made connections with people for different professional experiences, and had the opportunity to get involved in several community service opportunities. Each social fraternity and sorority has a specific philanthropy that they support and each semester within the different organizations, events are held to raise money and awareness for that certain philanthropy. Whether it is a sports event, a 5k walk/run, or a charity dinner, the different organizations put on great programming that truly does help local organizations in need. To find out more about these organizations, you can either go to the link Nick posted in the post above mine, or once you arrive at UMD in the fall, you can attend Meet the Greeks, an event where every fraternity and sorority sets up a table on the McKeldin Mall and you can meet people in specific organizations you may be interested in. This event is usually held during the late afternoon within one of the beginning weeks of the fall semester. I highly recommend attending if you’re interested!

    -Cristin Carey

    ReplyDelete